Monday, March 1, 2021

Arsoli, Riofreddo, Cineto Romano & Roviano (22/02/2020)

Another sunny weekend another day trip from Rome, this time northeast from the capital close to the border with Abruzzo. My first stop was the town of Arsoli; after reaching the train station I got off the train and started the hike on foot. Downhill from there I then reached the small old town, with its nice winding medieval streets and the massive structure of the Castello Massimo on the highest part of town. The castle was unfortunately closed and looked like it had been so for a long time. Nonetheless, I managed to observe it from the square below where the main church, Chiesa del SS. Salvatore is located. The church was closed as well so that prompted me to continue onwards towards the next town. As I walked uphill I managed to reach a nice spot from where I had a great view of the old town; then continuing onwards I followed a trail which in a few kilometers brought me to the town of Riofreddo. As I exited the forest trail and reached the hilltop where the town is located, I passed by the Villa Garibaldi, a 19th-century villa built by one of Garibaldi's sons, Ricciotti, which now holds the local history museum. From there I headed down through the old town and visited its pretty historic center. I passed through the main square where the church of San Nicola is located, and reached the other end of town where the castle is set, at that time being under refurbishment. Once there I then decided to head further and exited town through another trail, taking me over a nearby mountain and through beautiful landscapes. Not long after I passed by a small stream and some waterfalls, the Cascate di Rioscuro, before reaching a series of olive groves and the first houses of the following town, Cineto Romano. Probably the most picturesque of the towns visited that day, it featured a nice quaint medieval city center and an impressive castle dating to the 11th century at its center and highest point. I first admired the view of the old town and surrounding mountains from a vantage point to the north, and then headed down through its pretty streets. I passed under the nice clock tower and reached the castle itself. As it is private property I could not visit it but still admired it from the outside and the view it granted over the town and valley below. Here I decided to have the lunch I had brought with me while basking in the unexpectedly warm sun. Once I was done, I put on my backpack and got on my feet to continue my hike. I followed another trail this time headed first through a nice forest and later among olive groves and a beautiful view of the Aniene Valley. After a while, I then reached the next and last town, Roviano. I approached the town from the west and admired its skyline as I walked through the suburbs and reached the old town. Maybe because of the hour but this town seemed much lively than the others as a large group of people had gathered in the main square and were dancing to very loud music, kids and elderly alike. I then walked through the nice streets and reaching the castle which, like the other towns, sits at the center and the highest point of the town. Here I admired the structure from its central courtyard and then continued on visiting the rest of the city center. Finally, it was time to head to the train station, not far from the old town, where I waited for my ride home while admiring the beautiful sunset and views of the valley below and surrounding mountains. 

The Castello Massimo in Arsoli

View of Arsoli

Villa Garibaldi in Riofreddo

Riofreddo's old town

An old Alfa Romeo in Riofreddo

View of the mountains surrounding Riofreddo

View of Cineto Romano

The clock tower of Cineto Romano

The path leading to Roviano

A street in the old town of Roviano

View of Roviano


No comments:

Post a Comment