Saturday, April 29, 2017

Tyniec Abbey (24/10/2016)

After class, today, I decided to rent a bicycle and head to the nearby Abbey of Tyniec located at about 13km from Krakow city center. Close to my apartment, was a bike rental place called Biketrip which for only 20zl let me rent bike for the rest of the day. After crossing the Debniki bridge I got on the bike path running along the Vistula's banks and left the city. Biking along the countryside I had nice views across the river towards the Las Wolski woods where the Camaldolese monastery could be seen on the hilltop. Around 40 minutes later I eventually reached the Abbey of Tyniec. The abbey itself was founded during the 11th century, however, throughout the centuries it was destroyed several times, first my the Mongols in the 12th century then by the Swedish during the 17th century and eventually by the Russians in the 18th century. It was thus consequently reconstructed so it now mainly consists of different styles intermixed. The church itself is mostly Baroque, particularly in the interior, but Gothic traces can also be found particularly in the outer defensive walls and in the cloister. Before heading in, I decided, to head around the abbey; I left the bike on a patch of grass and walked through some bushes until I reached the bank of the Vistula river. From there I could clearly see the fortress-like structure of the Abbey built on top of solid white rock. After enjoying the sun and view I got back on the bike and rode uphill to the Abbey's entrance. I left the bike against a wall and walked inside. I first entered the church with its Baroque altar built by the Italian sculptor Francesco Placidi. Then I came outside once again and headed to the small shop owned by the monks, who by the way produce beer and even some wine. I bought a dark beer and cider which I then later savored at home. The view from the Abbey was really nice, with the Vistula flowing right below and fields all around. It was then time to go; I exited the main gate, got back on my bike and pedaled 40 more minutes until I reached Krakow again.

View of the Abbey


The Abbey's facade

View from the Abbey

The Baroque pulpit

Abbey's beer and the church behind it

No comments:

Post a Comment